Friday, April 22, 2011

Square Beads

This was in my mind's eye for a couple weeks (or more) before I finally got around to making it.

When I was determined to go pick up square beads from the store, there were none left! Last week, they were restocked. Yeah for little wooden cube beads!

I used some inherited thread (seems slightly thicker than Size 10) and a Size 7 hook. There are 5 chains between each bead and just under 100 beads for my 3-layer necklace. Not bad for $2.

I wore this on Sunday with a cream-colored sweater (forgot to take the picture that day...), and I was a little nervous that the wooden beads would discolor the sweater, but there were no issues. My only caution to you is to move them around as little as possible before you crochet it. The rough inside of the bead tends to "grab" at the thread a little bit, and you occasionally get some brown bits coming out.

8 comments:

  1. I would imagine your necklace looked stunning with the cream colored sweater. You have a beautiful design!
    Becky Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one is really really cute too!! I love it :)

    Thanks again for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unique with the square beads! I think it's an eye-catcher! Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so pretty....I would love to learn how to make these...in my mind I just can't picture how the beads go on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to have a cup of coffee with your mind's eye. Wow.

    Great job, Mindy. Hope you stop by Creative Juice again tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I like the square beads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just started crocheting necklaces. I love the look of them.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!