Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ribbon Wreath Craft

A while back, I found a tutorial for a Ribbon Wreath. I thought it was a neat idea, and it didn’t seem too difficult or expensive, so I wanted to try it. The first thing I did was look up the prices for the grosgrain ribbon I would need. Ummm….wow! That stuff was CRAZY expensive! Are you kidding? Wow, backburner that craft for a while! I was looking for cute and CHEAP!! It was looking like this thing could cost upwards of $40-$50 or more!

Fastforward a few months.

My new favorite area at Hobby Lobby is their fabric clearance shelf. Lo and behold, I found some pretty turquoise stripe grosgrain ribbon on clearance $2.10 for 10 yds. I was pretty excited by that price! With my 40% off coupon, I got the Styrofoam wreath form for less than $3. So, pretty Ribbon Wreath, less than $7! Yeah! Now to put it together… It took a little help from dear Kati, but I was finally brave enough to try this one.

Here’s what I used:
10″ wreath form
20 yds. grosgrain ribbon, 1.5″ wide (mine had 2 major flaws on one roll, and I still had plenty) Mine happened to have wire-edge. This is not necessary, but, hey! it was on clearance–I’m not picky. If you get wire-edged ribbon, don’t use your nice sewing shears to cut them!
Scissors (see above note)
Tape measure

To make:
Cut your ribbon into 14″ lengths. Leave one extra long length for hanging it.
Tie the ribbon in a square knot (or any type of not, just keep consistent with the whole wreath).
Keep going until the wreath is full or you run out of ribbon. :-)
Tie on the hanging ribbon…hang it up!
I did not use fray check on the ends or burn them. You could do that if you wanted to, I just found it unnecessary and time-consuming.

What I would do differently next time: I *might* spray paint the wreath form first. On the off chance that any shows through, it could be disguised. Honestly, even with my perfectionism, I just don’t think I’d waste the time. The color/design of ribbon would probably be my deciding factor.

Here’s how it turned out:

A more detail shot:

You can see that it had an interesting double-sided design. There was the stripe on one side and a blue-to-white fade on the other. Odd, but I think it worked!

Did I miss any instructions? Let me know if you try one!

3 comments:

  1. Great Idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! Looks like the possibilities would be endless on fabric choices! Yours is super cute!

    Happy Holidays!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an eye-catching wreath. Well done!

    Don't you love it when you see something cool in a shop and think, "Hey! I could make that!"?

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!