Thursday, August 26, 2010

A different type of ugly

Among all the bits of leftover yarn given to me for my first Ugly Blanket, there were a few Homespun and Light & Lofty skeins. Since there were 6 of them, I decided to make them into their own Ugly Blanket. Being a thicker type of yarn, I first checked to see if there were patterns specifically suited to the yarn. I found this pattern.

Here is my finished product:

It turned out to be VERY stretchy, and the two yarns didn't go together as well as I would have liked, but it's ugly and it's warm! Incidentally, the center portion and the border are the same amount of yarn.

Size N hook, 6 skeins.

The biggest problem was that I found some mistakes in the pattern. That was extremely frustrating, especially when using the yarn for the first time. I couldn't tell if the they were pattern mistakes, my mistakes, or just the nature of the yarn. It turned out to be the pattern, and I had to adjust partway through. If I did a "next time," I would probably use a standard Granny Square pattern rather than this adapted one. Or I would simply make up a pattern with the border worked right into each row.

A friend of mine used this pattern once with the Homespun yarn. Has anyone else used this yarn? What is your favorite pattern to use? I loved working with it and would definitely do it again!



3 comments:

  1. Well, it may not match, but it'll be the warmest, coziest blanket for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh. This is awesome. I'm so happy someone else does other kinds of ugly, too. Good to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Thanks, Laura!

    The more I use it now, though, the more I think I'll have to take it apart and redo it somehow. Maybe I just used the wrong size hook or something. It's so oddly stretchy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!