Friday, August 27, 2010

Chain Link Scarf

Several months back, I saw a girl wearing a fun and different scarf. She probably thought I was crazy, but I just loved the idea of it and kept asking her all about it. I decided to make up a pattern to try to create something similar. Her scarf was all one color and knit, but since I can't wield two sharp pointy things at the same time, I stuck with what I know.



Here's how you can make one of your very own:
For purposes of a first attempt and clarity of pictures, I used some extra red and black yarn that I had on hand. It is Red Heart Super Saver yarn, and it is a pretty stiff yarn. It will help you to see what I'm doing much more easily, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for this pattern as a scarf.

Start with a Size I hook or whatever size is recommended on the yarn label. This would also be a good time to NOT ask your young'un to take the pictures for you if you don't want people getting sick or blinded while reading the pattern. See the amazing tips I leave for you? I'm only here to help! ;-) Moving on...



Chain 40.


Being careful not to twist the chain, join to the first chain with a slip stitch.


Sc in next stitch

...and in each stitch around.

You will continue around your Loop in a continuous round without stopping or turning at each row.

Side note: I tend to weave in the end toward the right BEFORE I complete my first row so that my sc is worked right in the loop that is hiding the woven in yarn tail.

Continue your rounds until you have about 7 Rows, again, adjust according to your style and size of yarn.

After the 7th Row, cut a short tail,

pull through,

and weave in the end.

Your first loop is done! Now to continue the Chain Links.
Pick your next color (or use the same color); ch 40.

Being careful not to twist the chain, drop the end in the loop, pull around, and sl st to join with the first ch.

Continue your sc Rows until you complete 7 Rows; finish off.


If you are like me, and you sometimes only want to have one skein of yarn with you at a time, you can also prepare the Links of one color separately, then connect them with the contrasting color. This method works just as well and didn't become too tight in the prepared Loops. I was concerned that the wider it got, the harder it would be to keep it moving, but it was fine.

Keep adding to your Chain Links until it's the length that you want.

Celebrate your completed project!

If you're ready to count how many loops I have in my Chain Link, I'll forewarn you that mine finished off a bit longer than seems proportionate, so don't feel like it has to be exact. (...but there are 21, ha!) I also figured with it being a 2-color scarf, the end loops should be the same color. I guess if all else fails, I'll just undo a couple loops and add them to my Ugly Blanket!

If you try one, let me know how it turns out!

I've linked here:



8 comments:

  1. Very nice! I will have to try this one sometime. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be very Goth ! Or super cute for an elementary school child or teacher too . Neat idea , thanks ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!!! I will be trying this scarf for this winter :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Glad you like it. Send me a link when you make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I like the schoolteacher idea. Maybe I'll make one for my son's teacher. Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! Love the idea of a chain scarf! Thanks for linking up to our YARN IT ALL party! :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea for a scarf! I could totally see this in a kid's room for decor too. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!