Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bloodshot Eyeballs, aka Oreo Truffles

By request, here's my take on the popular Oreo Truffle recipe.

Start with a package of sandwich cookies, any flavor. Wouldn't peanut butter ones be yummy? I think I'm going to try the mint ones next time I make them.
You'll need 35 cookies.
One 8 oz. brick of cream cheese, room temperature for easy combining
Almond bark or baking chocolate
Holiday appropriate sprinkles or colored sugar

Place cookies in food processor in about 3 batches; crumble completely. You can always put them in a Ziploc bag to bash them, but I didn't want to spend the time or make the noise. The food processor gave me even crumb texture, too. Everyone who knows me knows that I'm an Even-Crumb-Texture Snob. OK, that's not true. I don't think I've ever been accused of that. But it sounds like a fun thing to be!

Let's get back to the recipe.
Mix the crumbs with the cream cheese until they are all incorporated. I'm not sure, but I might try using my mixer next time for this step. It was making my hands extremely sore using a fork since it takes quite a while to get all the crumbs incorporated.

Roll the mixture into small balls. I liked them being small enough to be bite-sized, but do whatever size you like. They are pretty rich.

Place the tray in the refrigerator to stay firm before dipping in melted chocolate.

Melt the chocolate over a double-boiler or in the microwave. The double-boiler method has always been the easiest for me since it stays soft no matter how long the dipping takes.
Dip cookie ball into chocolate and place on waxed paper.
Decorate immediately with holiday sprinkles (if desired) and return to fridge to set.
Ta da! Enjoy!

ps--I was told that I fooled the baker in the crowd because she was convinced that there was no way these were made out of Oreos because they weren't grainy. Rachel told her they were cookies, but the baker was convinced they were cake. Don't you love food that surprises you (in a good way)?

7 comments:

  1. oh, those look sinfully delicious! WOW!

    Patrizia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nearly lunch time here and they are totally out of the food groups I am supposed to eat..but, hey, they sound and look so delicious..I'm drooling! Just as well they're a few thousand miles from here or I'd be knocking at your door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, these look so good!! sounds like i could manage to make them too. (I'm not a great cook) Or you could always mail me some if you're feeling generous. Ha! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm...I love oreos! Congrats on fooling a baker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm, I'm totally drooling over here.

    I'd love for you to share this recipe on my linky for Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/03/monster-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah, love the name of these oreo truffles. Very clever :) They look delicious. Thanks so much for linking up with Recipe Sharing Monday! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!