Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hot Mustard Recipe

We're huge fans of spicy food around here. There are myriad condiments in our refrigerator, but very rarely do we have the standard ketchup and yellow mustard. I decided recently that I wanted to try to make my own mustard rather than buy some of the specialty mustards that we tend to like. This recipe is definitely worth repeating! It reminds me a lot of the Asian Hot Mustard that you'd put on an eggroll.


Hot Mustard

1 C dry ground mustard
1 C apple cider vinegar (we prefer the raw, unfiltered variety)
2-3 T Truvia or 1/4-1/3 C honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan; whisk to blend. Simmer over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Pour into a clean jar. This will last for several weeks.

The hot mustard flavor comes through VERY strong initially, but it mellows out a bit over the next day or two. If it's still too strong for you, add a bit more sweetener to balance it out. It took a few adjustments to get it just where we liked it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!