Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Washcloth/Sponge Crochet Style - Free Pattern

I learned from a friend to cut my dishwashing sponges in half when I take them out of the package. It fits my hand so much better, and you can try to extend their life by only using half at a time. This has worked really well for me, especially since I had a large supply of sponges for some reason.

Recently, I noticed I'd be running out of them soon, and I figured I'd just use the variety of washcloths I've made. That little finicky part of me that loves the small size of the sponge was sort of dreading that. Also, who else out there HATES that smell that suddenly develops overnight on a washcloth? Maybe it has to do with water quality because I notice it at some houses more than others.

Anyway, I figured, why not make some small washcloths for myself?

So I did.

I absolutely love them! The double-thickness makes it easier to hold, and it won't "break down" as quickly as a sponge tends to do.

(Hmmm...NOW I think about the fact that I should have had a frame of reference in that picture... ;-) sorry!)

This is very similar to a Hot Pad/Trivet pattern that is out there, so if you've done that, this will be a snap.

Here's how to make them:
Cotton Worsted Weight yarn
Size G hook
Chain 20 (15 for smaller size--I can't decide yet which one I prefer)
Turn, sc in each stitch across.
When you get to the end of the row, DON'T turn. Continue around to the other side of your beginning chain, sc all the way across. The whole pattern is done in one continuous round, so as you go, the corners will curl in at you. Continue until the sides meet and it becomes the shape (square or rectangle) that you want. Mine were about 6-8 rows.
Pull another 12-15 inches of yarn before cutting. Weave through the loops to bring the sides together. At the end, I added extra chains to make a loop for hanging this at my kitchen sink.

FYI: You might have to reshape them just a bit after washing and drying them.

Let me know if you try this!

6 comments:

  1. I have a few similarly made cloths that my great aunt gave me when I got married! I love how they feel in my hands, and they're such special gifts! Thanks for stopping by Confabulation in the Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I tried making myself a crochet dishcloth once. It really wasn't much of a square by the time I was done with it. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting to Fibers on Friday! I love these little washcloths! I find my washcloths get funky depending on the weather; humid=gross within a day, winter=fine for 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true! It does make a difference. I'm loving using these so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! I go through sponges so quickly... I could absolutely use this pattern! Thanks for linking up to our YARN IT ALL party! :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. I love the washcloths my mom makes me... Maybe I can talk my mom into making me some of these sponges!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!