Thursday, October 13, 2011

Messenger Bag and Tote Bag

I am SO excited to show you these two projects. I've lumped them together because I made one in order to see how I liked the pattern so I could adapt it something a bit more original. Here is the picture.

The one on the right is the one I made first. It is 18 1/2" wide and has two straps.

I wanted to try it a bit more narrow since that's a pretty big bag (though useful for the right things). As I worked along on the second one, I mentioned making only one strap. Hubby liked the idea of it going along the entire edge to the bottom. I think I like how it turned out. It adds some structure to it. This one is about 15 1/2" wide.

Both were made with worsted weight cotton and a Size G hook.

The last thing I'd like to do with it is chain a little loop and add a button at the top of the narrow bag to keep it closed. Or I'll just add a large flower on the side. It sounds like a fun addition.

Don't you love how the variegated yarn lined up? It's different on each of them, but I love it on both!

10 comments:

  1. Hi!
    It's beautiful! Love the color combination you used. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/10/fibers-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving these. Last year for Christmas I made my nieces bags and my sister-in-law stole my nieces. I think I might make one like this for my s-i-l this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you line the bags? Just wondering..I like your color combo..nice..very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mindy..your bags are terrific, i love the one on the right with the separate handles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The strap-as-structure idea is great! That variegated yarn looks a wonder- at first it even looked planned! I think a big, bright button would look fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...awesome. I like the size of the big one. Love the variegated yarn. Your pattern and color scheme is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mindy, this is so cute!! The colors are fabulous. I like them both, and I see how the straps on the sides would make it more stable or have more substance.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions! I'll reply as soon as I am able. Thanks for visiting!